- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 05/25/2023
- Website: thatgamecompany.com
- Company Address: , Santa Monica, CA
About Thatgamecompanythatgamecompany designs and develops artistically crafted, broadly accessible video games that push the boundaries of interactive entertainment. They strive to contribute meaningful, enriching experiences that touch and inspire players and create timeless interactive entertainment that makes positive change to the human psyche worldwide.
thatgamecompany is best recognized for creating award-winning, enriching, and meaningful game titles such as Journey, Flower, and flOw. Our most recent game, Sky, is our most complex undertaking to date. It is a social network built around the values inherited from a powerful humanistic story. It is a live experience continuously evolving inside a global online theme park.
For Sky: Children of the Light, thatgamecompany has developed a real-time, multiplayer game server system capable of handling a massive amount of concurrent users. Providing a reliable and low latency experience for our players is a priority. We build, test, and maintain systems for account and login, resource scaling, seamless matchmaking, and live updates. We need your help developing and scaling these mission critical systems so that we can continue providing impactful multiplayer experiences to people around the globe. If this sounds interesting to you, get in touch!
On any given day at TGC, you might:
- Create and maintain high volume C++ game server systems to sync player state in a reliable, secure, and scalable manner
- Create and maintain high volume Golang supporting backend services
- Monitor and diagnose problems in the live environment, fixing them in a timely manner
- Keep improving our backend architecture and development workflow to deliver the optimal experience to the player, as well as benefit everyone in the studio
- Help guide future multiplayer technology, systems, and architecture design
- Be a fan of TGC games and excited about enhancing the player experience
- Have 3+ years experience working on the back-end for an MMO or high-volume, low-latency web services
- Be fluent in C++
- Be comfortable working with game client teams to support network communication
- Experience with UDP, bit-level serialization, delta compression, and other techniques for developing efficient network code for real time games
- Be comfortable integrating with external backend services via various protocols
- Have strong opinions on the different approaches to managing network communication, resource scaling, automated deployment, security, reliability, and data tracking/analysis
- Be familiar with creating unit tests, stress tests, and integration tests
- Be proficient debugging in network environments
- Be proficient in Linux
It would be great if you also:
- Have experience with AWS or GCP
- Have experience with Kubernetes, Helm, and Docker
- Have experience with bare metal deployment
- Have experience with both relational and non-relational databases (PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis)
- Have experience with Golang, or Erlang and functional programming
We look forward to meeting you!
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
The salary range for this position is $95,000 USD to $177,000 USD annually, with the opportunity to earn an annual discretionary bonus. This salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
Employees in this position are eligible to participate in the Company’s standard employee benefit programs, which currently include the following: medical, dental, vision,401k, and paid time off.